Sunday, June 21, 2009

My First Half Ironman

I have always thought a half Ironman would be tough...but tough does NOT being to describe it!

SWIM 1.2 miles:
The swim was rough because the waves were really big!!! It was tough to see the buoys and the people around you. I felt a little panicked at one point but told myself I had to get the hell over that and I did (I can be pretty convincing!) Thank goodness because I was thinking the swim would be my favorite part of the day...

BIKE 56 miles:
The bike was GREAT! I actually had a blast riding that course. I felt good, I was NOT too hot and I was passing people! I was super shocked because the bike has not been the easiest thing for me to do so far! It was my greatest worry going into the race...but there was nothing to worry about yesterday!

RUN 13.1
When I got off the bike I felt like I was hit by a wall! Heading out of transition you have to run right up High Cliff Hill (if you have never seen it...it is massive!) It was so much harder than I had ever imagined. My legs did not turn around like I thought they would but I just kept going. The run was a double loop so people were flying past me that were on their final loop! They were soaked from sweat and the heat! It was so hot! I have to say the run was the toughest thing I have ever done it my life! It was beyond words. I have had to dig deep before but this was the deepest I have gone in my life!

Would you do it again...they ask?
I have already signed up for Door County Half Ironman and yes I am going to do it! My goal is to do the race with out feel like I am surviving and feel more like I am soaring!

Congrats to everyone who did the Sprint and the Half...it was a hot day and everyone did so good!

Mary Love

No comments:

Post a Comment